Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tying the Knot

With the onset of the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, so begins the elliptical orbit of this 23.5° tilted, terraqueous planet’s rotation back into the Sun’s intensifying bath of light, those rays which will warm her circulating bodies of water, encouraging the innate, irrepressible ambitions of sea-life to propagate and pursue their inherently biological desires to migrate north again along the east-coast.  This planetary perihelion, the observance of our first day of winter, marks the initiation of an unstoppable change which will consummate six-months later in the recognition of a summer solstice.  It may seem ironic, but within the freezing-cold reality of winter, the very nature of this permanent axial tilt promises the future birth of yet another nine-month season where I will poise myself somewhere before the frothy fringe of a wide-open sea in quest of Morone Saxatilis, where I may ceremoniously launch my plastic and rubber-bodied offerings during inseparable nighttime rendezvous’ with the sweeping tides.  This labor of love for a pleasing pastime, this hobby, the timeframe which governs this obsession to serially-stalk finning caudal tail, is motivated by pre-existing forces far beyond mankind’s control, on orders of climactic and physical magnitudes nearly inconceivable to fully-understand, but one thing is clearly certain – that with each season’s first, fresh tying of the knot, I am adamantly declaring myself ready, as an eager devotee waiting impatiently to participate, to proclaim my affiance as an avid angler engaged and waiting before the oceanfront, committed to confront the many unrealized enticements which lure my aspirations to angle the pitch-black fathoms of the giving sea.  
In a fanciful way, I may be likened to a single, square tessera tile held by the dry, rough-worked fingertips of the infinitely talented artisan I’ve come to know over decades of time as Nature, humbled in spirit as an integral ingredient of hers which she will decidedly allow to become plastered apart of her immeasurably grand mosaic portraying what the experienced eyes of life see as a rousing masterpiece of creation, the physical existence that surrounds us and that which we perceive in our mind, feel the touch of to our skin, and breathe the essence of into our lungs, ready to proclaim my unique color to the awaiting world, serving as one distinct part of a greater whole, and by default, declaring myself an individual constituent married to this experience’s far-reaching, vaulted ceiling of Moroccan-inspired architectural design as an idealistic fisherman who is longing to begin scribbling madly, filling the pages of his yet unwritten, unlived year of fin-chasing, those chronic confessions set aside as stacked piles of salty-inspired memories detailing his triumphs pulled from deep within rolling waves, grateful reflections and celebrations recounting the many tales of tails aplenty. Oh, the possibilities which await the surfcaster who has ached all-winter-long for familiar encounters with finned inhabitants of the flooding tide! 
And so as this recurrent pilgrimage of seaside wanderings inspired by the seduction of swimming, laterally-striped ambitions ensues, I am faithfully professing myself wed to yet another year of treading for untold miles at untold hours the sandy beaches of New Jersey, from this day forward, for better or for worse, until December do us part.  I am devoutly determined to claim no other beaches as my own, for I am happier beyond compare to know her sloped, sandy shores will flood my ambitious affections with a palpitating concordance, her frothy touch being the binding union to wash me over with soothing waves of serenity as I sink into and submit softly within her naturally-calming seductions.  I offer my solemn vow to be her faithful partner throughout the year, to honor and respect her splendor, to carefully cherish her natural beauty with each breath I make for as long as we both shall endure, united as one, in times of failure and in times of triumph, as I eagerly anticipate the many opportunities to bond and grow closer together in the hands of her foamy, brushing touch. 
I can do nothing greater than remain trustful of the many unknown and unpredictable piscatorial possibilities which will emerge from rising tides of the future.  With the formation of this tiny, but essential knot I tie today, I have in essence pronounced myself an angler, a sportsman, committed to wade knee-deep the sandy-framed shoreline of the Atlantic, eager to commence day-one of this saltwater-nourished, peripatetic journey amid the great outdoors, this inauguration of sorts now coiled as a tightly-drawn knot beckoning the mysteries manifold which will characterize a soon-to-unfold rod-wielding season and ultimately, the acquired inspirations impregnated from an adoration of aquatic pursuits afforded and garnered by the formidable, fertile sea.  I begin a man made afresh, shrugging-off the sobering sequestration of frozen, windswept winter months from my shoulders, enlivened by the warming renewal that is spring, restored in spirit and bound in unity once more as witness of her regenerative restorations blossoming on land as budding and sprouting pale-green vegetation and over oceanfront waters as her cold, salty life-blood, the very home of my elusive quarry, proceeds to warm in temperature, degree by degree, week after week, oftentimes suffocating the near-shore waterways with dense, hovering masses of fog during this metamorphic awakening in the month of May.  She may be subdued in vigor, but at all times she is very much alive.  The sun’s stirring rays and lengthier days spent crossing the sky awaken her from a frigid winter hibernation, enlivening her body from lethargy, as she then yawns a cool breath to the warming atmosphere, her exhalation condensing as the blanket of blinding fog we become obscured from sight within amongst this dampened air hanging atop the shore, as we find ourselves casting in solitude from the sandy altars we claim as our havens away from home.
As an angler anxious to participate, dying to steep my soul within her liveliness, to fully-immerse myself in her arena, I know I can only patiently wait, to remain at the ready, as all fishermen must do, and be prepared to intercept the initial influx of invading fish, those large female breeders which swim northward for hundreds of miles along the east-coast from their over-wintering grounds off the shores of North Carolina, destined for the brackish upper-reaches of the Hudson River to spawn.  Undoubtedly, there is an irrepressible transformation in the making, that of Nature maturing before our eyes from her winter slumber in a manner too gradual to witness any sudden, daily changes of, which may be likened to that of noticing the smallest ambassador of aging, a blemish or wrinkle perhaps, appear on the face of a life-long friend now advancing in years.  You know that you may not be attentive enough to recognize the formation of this rather insignificant facial feature from a day-to-day perspective, but when separated by the insensate distance of time, even the most subtle changes in appearance are easily evident upon your next scrutinizing glance.  And so with Nature too, these pressing, everyday changes, the frame-by-frame snapshots we keep in our minds, become the instinctive focus of our endeavors, and if one is vigilant and persistent enough, these visual and sensory cues which we clutter our mind with, splicing together all-season-long, saving, amassing, and editing for when the full-reel is finally released from the memory of our cutting-room floor and allowed to replay at length in our mind, this independent film we entitle Life As I’ve Lived, those singular moments in time discovered, preserved, and cherished to represent one’s own personal prosperity, only then is the significance of one’s persistence on the sand revealed in its entirety, climaxing in a glorious repose of thought and understanding, its meaning wrought with particular purpose in the impassioned eyes of the beholder, fortifying the foundation supporting the pillar of standards by which we live to define ourselves, the paths in life we follow to tread with our footsteps, the actions we adhere to guided by the words we live by, depicted in the closing credits honoring the names of littoral places we have admired and held dear all-year-long.  You will feel as though you have not breathed air to live, but lived to breathe air.  You may only be a surfcaster, but you are a surfcaster dedicated to experiencing the bounty of riches Nature serves for you to feast upon like that of a ravenous gourmand.  This may come to be what the perfectly-timed tide offers to aspire as she floods over my patiently awaiting feet.
It is my hope, perhaps early in December, before the first snowfall whitens my local beach’s tan-colored sands and crowns her neighboring granite jetty-tops above the spraying reaches of restless waves, shortly after the arctic-onset of yet another season-closing winter solstice, when I will come to stare-down my reflected soul in an awaiting mirror, observing the many truths discovered over the full-spectrum of a timeframe where my stamping, wandering footsteps were left impressed into soft and wet, dark sand as temporal proclamations attesting to the very nature of living three-quarters of the year on the hunt, but not entirely for yearned fish, for there also persisted incessant hunger-pangs seeking nourishment for the testosterone-fueled inner-self longing to be fed the myriad raw and all-embracing elements of Nature, for this wayfaring surfcaster to step closer to discovering a purposeful reason for allowing myself to become possessed with the crazed idolizations compelling the dusk-to-dawn pursuits of a striped fish, rationalizing a sound reason for allowing the bitter taste of the Atlantic’s salty water to drip from the lips of my wave-soaked face, having stood as a wide-eyed challenger to the churning surf, studying oncoming sets of waves, cautiously back-pedaling in a shifting, sinking sand in order to dodge another merciless drenching. 
To step forward boldly as an admiring angler, placing oneself face-to-face before the physical, yet oftentimes assaulting, elements of Nature, it is inevitable that such a man will find his experience heightened between the alternating and stirring emotions of unyielding frustration placated by calming joy, slumps of boredom interrupted by sudden, riveting bouts of excitement, occasions of upsetting loss forgotten in the wake of eye-opening discovery, as well as the most rewarding sensation to wash ashore from the breaking waves of the surf, that which is pure, heart-racing exhilaration, all of which provoke an idle mind when it is finally released from the civilized constraints of reality, finally being permitted to drift in an ebb and flood of thought, are these dreamy passions one perceives as real as the rush of water violently pushing and pulling at their readjusting legs and feet, which when altogether coalesce, yield the inescapable sensations, those distinctions of having stood resolutely as a saltwater angler, one who recognizes those guiding, primal reactions which will pinch one in the cheek to navigate the mind through a blackened night of isolation or serve to prevent the daring from the fate of being swept from a jetty whose rocks are pounded by loudly punishing and roiling waves.  From the perspective of a man who willingly introduces himself atop this oceanfront stage in settings which provoke such striking, yet altogether memorable emotional responses, it becomes clear that he is simply engaging himself within a self-prescribed test of sorts as challenger to the offences of Nature, and ultimately, is casting his heart out to the sea in an exchange for one solid-tugging response, all in the hope to liberate his undying spirit and satiate any rumbling hunger as he will grow saturated to the bone with a renewed zest which only she may resuscitate, much like a master chef who has grilled marinated, mouth-watering fillets to succulent, tender perfection, indulging all who invite themselves to dine at her charitable table of plenty.  
I know that this is exactly where I will find myself again, one-on-one, hungered, challenged, and at times confounded with the enigma of my elusive quarry and her ever-changing habitat.  This anticipation of mine, as tangible and just as life-sustaining as the rich, oxygenated blood coursing through my arteries, permits me to cast as an angler of the surf who is wrought with longing desires to explore and witness first-hand the many bountiful exhibits of both life and the inanimate, all in their respective variety of limitless representations, scales of size, and offerings of form awaiting discovery within the saltwater environ flourishing in a flood before my eyes.  I tell myself that I’ll work harder in succeeding at my chosen craft, learning how to become better, all so that I may allow peace, the greatest catch of all, to rise up and permeate through my submerged legs during each session the boots of my waders step to impress the wet, slick-looking sand smoothened at the daring edge of this sea of endless relief, reeling-in soulful enjoyment caught amidst the diversity of pleasures offered by the sport itself.  I will vow to push forward for more, to endeavor, and ultimately, triumph as a man humbled by his surroundings, fully-aware that if a fish happens to flop upon the bubbling sand of the surf, then all the better for me. 
As I see it, this act of harmonization cast between a mindful man and the natural world, fisherman to the ocean, will subsist to meld seamlessly as the year peels itself to the frozen core of December.  These prevailing testaments are the collective elements which, though my continued participation, will come to be unveiled as my unbridled ideology, my interwoven constitution set before Nature’s handiwork that, from my own perspective, only I can appreciate as the cool, cherished breaths of air I long to inhale at five o’clock in the morning, as I am the afflicted surfcaster in need of a saltwater remedy to purge my bloodstream of a terrestrial lifestyle lived within the excess of civilized comforts for months on end now, as I choose instead to embark forward, creeping about within the cool darkness under a star-studded nighttime canopy of pierced, flickering specks and acquainted constellations, those withstanding before false-dawn paints a fresh morning sky, embracing that which is my inner-wolf howling skyward under the accompanying light of a full-moon dropping steadily in the west, stoking the atavistic element suppressed within my being, as it claws to unleash itself from the accrued restraint of winter’s numbing desertions.
So here I begin anew, before the hopeful promises of yet another dawn’s captivating hues erupting in gradients of colorful combination overhead, emerging from below the distant horizon of a bluish-grey abyss, beginning each and every season before the water’s edge in the same manner as years prior.  I always have and I always will.  It is the month of April and I am not yet clothed in my fishing gear, wading the shallows of the surf below a setting moon and simultaneously rising sun.  I am completely dry, in the comfort of my home, pulling together between my two sprawling hands the many under and over-wrapping loops of a knot in the making.  I may be likened as a self-ordained pastor offering his blessings for a perfect marriage of faith, pronouncing a tight bond where two synthetic contenders are being drawn to join together in unison, to never falter or slip, whose embodiment represents the unification of  old and new, where the opposing pairing of nylon monofilament coils in a firmly-wrapped, knotted collusion to the polyethylene fibers of Dyneema-based braid, forming the essential unity which is the very physical link serving to connect this man to the faraway saltwater depths of my fevered passions.  This matrimony, secured to and buried deeply onto my reel’s spool, serves as the binding connection to a metaphysical extension of my perceived vision scanning under the water’s opaque, shimmering skin which I will rely on as much as the solid ground under my  feet, this hair-thin fiber sent cast afar and retrieved back attached to a diving, plastic presentation representing nothing more than an airbrushed, submersible embodiment of hope adorned with hooks, swam unseen in return to me under the swaying motion of  spirited, enigmatic waves, wobbling and rolling from side-to-side in an erratic manner in order to provoke a predatory attack, and if not, at least produce a faithful, v-shaped wiggling-wake emanating atop the water’s surface and stopping suddenly with the sound of a sharp, metallic clink at my rod’s ceramic-tipped eyelet.  Reeled-in rests a tiny barrel swivel encouraging me to recognize that nothing could be more importantly asked for from a fisherman, than a unified pairing of filaments proving to outlast as one, remaining true through a fashioned compatibility, faithful in purpose, and habituated to endure the repeated trials of retrieval.    
This union is far more than a cinched knot.  It represents the physical manifestation of my impatiently-sidelined, winter-long desires to begin fishing the cool-water tides of my local waterways, my soul’s thirst to reunite and immerse itself again as a parched-participant seeking hydration atop the surging white-water dousing the slippery lamination of mosses coating jetty-tops, and allow for a getaway where I may wander amongst soft, sloped sands seething in sound to the racing rush of a suffusing surf, to stalk eagerly, patiently, and silently under nighttime’s blackened veil from  the wide riverbanks of my favorite hideaways, are these meticulously laid twists, the winding loops I intently focus upon, drawing carefully around one another so as to leave no weakest point in my woven integration linking dissimilar kinds for a common, greater purpose.  
May Nature in her goodness strengthen my consent and fill me with her blessings. What I have joined together as one, may time and undo forces never divideWith these words, and the entire faith of my heart, I bind my success to the fellowship of your continued strength.  I accept you as my partner.  I will care for you always, carry you in my travels, and share in experience with you the host of Nature’s adversities of sunlight and salt such that we may overcome any obstacle of engagement to reel-in the fruit of her rewards, from this day forward, and all the days remaining to this year in the surf, for thou are my tightly-coiled accompaniment, my lifeline empowering me on this perennial quest for peace.    
And so it is these truths that I do hold, that I carry warily by the nimble tips of my fingers, my guiding principles which will outlive time everlasting so long as I remain the rod-wielding surf-fisherman united in a harmony with his imbued spirit and the convivial nature of a briny ocean splashing upwards around my waist, fevered by a fanaticism for the vittae-marked fish furtively finning with the finest finesse beneath the scalloped ceiling of waves that is the only boundary to their expansive home, the natural confine of which I tie this knot so I may transcend the waterline to dare these inhabitants within their own world, a world of possibilities I found my daydreaming mind powerless to such sweeping tides of thought all-winter-long, as those piscatorial-promises now appeal to an awaiting reality, embodied in an allegiance of securely-clenched, encircling coils so that together as partners we may join in unison for another propitious season on the sand.  That is just what today’s first, freshly-tied knot symbolizes to me.






 Alright Albright, my faith is now bound to the allegiance of your tightly-wrapped coils so that as partners we may join together in unison for another propitious season on the sand.





In all walks of life we require sure footing to fall upon.  A fisherman standing in the mix of dangerously-slick, moss-covered jetty-tops knows he may find this stability when planted firmly on the spiked carbide-tip soles of his Korkers, but what’s more, he is nothing greater than an isolated, powerless man poised atop wet rocks without the presumed integrity of his firmly-drawn knots and the continual unity, strength, and durability of the retrieved line, which when cast asea, enables his passions to persist as if they were ambitiously alive and perfectly tangible to his touch.   

No comments:

Post a Comment