Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Bergdorf Saxatilis

The dramatic lighting she appeared within alongside the avenue of my urban, evening amble captured my attention rather unexpectedly, but I immediately and instinctively recognized her striking form flaunted outwardly on display.  In an instant, my eyes poured over all of those perfectly-proportioned and pleasing curves that would incite any of her spellbound admirers to wildly ogle accordingly alike.  Unbelievable, I thought with smiling surprise.  So spectacular, striking, and altogether startling.  Dressed to kill, I see.  But, here?  What were the chances, I askedNot exactly as you were when first your eye I eyed, but such seems your beauty still.  I imagine she’ll always entertain that irresistible and overwhelming allure over me, holding me entirely inescapable of anything but casting her attention and having turned my head when I least expect it.

She was joined even by company clearly of a haute-pedigree, albeit not heartbreakers from the familiarity of her own neighborhood.  I could tell.  They were long and lean, seductive out-of-towners that countless crazed men have tried their hands at reeling-in of capricious affection, spending thousands, tens of thousands, even millions of dollars in a courting pursuit, all for the hope of capturing a prize as fine-looking.  They were those of dreamy, exotic names like A. Solandri, T. Albacares, Makaira, Istiophorus, Megalopidae, Coryphaena, or Carangidae.  Who could blame them?  As I understood it, their only curse was that of being victims of adventure and ambition, as disposed, heart-throb casualties of this most ancient disease of devotion. 

But here she was, of all places, on the corner of 5th & 58th in mid-town Manhattan, dressed to the nines in a custom-fitted, sparkling sequin skin, posing for everyone to admire - in a Bergdorf Goodman display window!  Her sweet hue, which methinks still doth stand, although mine eye may be deceived.  Although she boasted no laterally-running stripes or viridescent shoulders, clearly every running inch and every scale of tile embodied that of the magnificently-admired Morone Saxatilis, from head to tail.  Surprising, on this bustling Saturday night in the heart of New York City’s concrete jungle, she appeared naturally-poised in a luxury retail store’s eye-catching exhibition, despite being mounted as an ornate and opulent rendition of various Atlantic saltwater gamefish artistically depicted in an undersea, visual offense of tiny tiles meticulously-laid in scaly hues of cerulean and seafoam blue, silver, and copper.  For whatever reason, the Eastern seaboard’s Queen of the Whitewater was decorated as a prop amid the imaginative staging of an aquatic-themed spring clothing-line inspired by those impossibly-blue, bluewater-borne delights of a shoreline swept solely by the swallowing Gulfstream.  The island of Bermuda. Bergdorf’s colorful promotion of paradise.

For a moment, I stepped aside from the throngs of passersby’s flooding this one sidewalk so I could look her down.  I thought, although camouflaged in tile among speedy, apex pelagics, this one brown egg among the eleven white is actually right where she belongs.  She was being honored on the very ancient island of bedrock and glass and raised steel rooted square in the middle of Morone’s-mecca, one bisecting the mountainous descent of the Hudson’s headwaters into the briny New York Bight.  Her promotion of paradise, for all faraway islands and rocks and sands she inhabits for consumers of Nature.  For us, the countless surfcasters, metropolitan and suburban and rural, who offer seasonal homage to her presence in these very surrounding waters of our chosen reaches.  Beginning here, from this saturating artery of tidal-life she seasonally swims and spawns, the river that flows two ways

In a short month-and-a-half, or less, I’ll be seeking her adoration, thinking of her day and night.  Wading, waiting, and wondering.  Hypnotized in daydreams over her portrait of perfection that hardly one can deny as anything but sublime.  Wooing for her favor and courting pursuit, myself.  Again, I’ll find myself on the chase for her undying affection.  On nighttime dates lit subtly by stars.  Running my own ad campaign with hopes of attracting the sights of her splashing exhibitions.  And as the season’s fashion’s change, so will my offerings.  Adapting always, for more.  




Bergdorf Saxatilis



 Carangidae

T. Albacares

No comments:

Post a Comment